Sandy Point Beach House
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sous Chef at Lakeshore!
at Sandy Point Beach House
- 15-Jan-2019 to 30-Dec-2019 (EST)
- Port Sheldon, MI, USA
- Full Time
Our Sous Chef is directly responsible for all kitchen functions including preparation and maintenance of quality standards; helping with food purchasing; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control and sanitation and cleanliness; providing a hospitable work environment for staff; create memorable dining experiences for guests.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with executive chef and the kitchen team to create tasting menus, due one month prior to event date.
- Create weekly features due by Tuesday for the following weekend
- Mentor and work with kitchen team to order accurately and maintain correct par levels of food.
- Proper cooler and freezer labeling and dating
- Responsible for leading and mentoring kitchen staff to grow in their roles
- Perform day time prep and help cook as needed
- Perform night time grill and sautee cook duties.
- Proper setting up of the line
- Prepping, filling and closing station
- Participate in weekly and period end food inventory.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Be able to take constructive criticism and utilize it to improve personal performance, the performance of the kitchen team, food quality, the guests dining experience, and the success of the restaurant as a whole.
- Clearly communicate information with the kitchen team and the management team in a respectful, productive fashion.
- Work with the rest of the management team to foster a work culture in which everyone has the opportunity to share ideas, participate and grow in their roles.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as necessary and per company guidelines.
- Any pay increases must be approved by the general manager and the executive chef before they are communicated to any associate.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs.
- Work with executive chef, kitchen manager and general manager to plan and price features and menu items, as well as establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipes for all features and new menu items. Effectively communicate this information to the rest of the kitchen team.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant's receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures. MUST BE PROFICIENT on Inventory, Ordering controls.
- Help control purchases and food costs through the use and understanding of restaurant financial goals and reports.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance reviews are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Help schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures. Work with the general manager to implement corrective actions.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Notify the general manager immediately if equipment needs to be fixed.
- Provide safety training in first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- All other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook and expediter.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and respectfully with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).